During the last days I was working on keyboarding issues on Linux. In our app we want to display the (xkb) keyboards that the user has installed and that are visible in the gnome panel. Displaying them is relatively easy, but then I also needed the language that is associated with the keyboard. libxklavier provides … Continue reading Finding the language for a xkb keyboard
One of the problems when developing cross-platform apps is the question how long the intrinsic data types are on the different platforms. A while ago I created a table with the sizes of the different data types on 32- and 64-bit Windows and Linux, both for C++ and C#/.NET. Since this might be useful for … Continue reading Cross-Platform Development and Data Type Sizes
Recently I got a new desktop computer on which I installed Ubuntu 11.04 Natty with the Unity UI. Yesterday I compiled Monodevelop 2.6 beta 3 (using the scripts described here) which worked fine - only when I run monodevelop the menu can't be found anywhere: there is no menu in the monodevelop window nor in … Continue reading Lost Menu in Monodevelop in Unity
Edit: An updated version of this post can be found here. One thing that always confuses me is how the special folders of Environment.SpecialFolder translate into real directories. Some are really obvious, especially on Windows, but on Mono on Linux it's not so obvious. So I wrote a little app that tells where those folders … Continue reading Location of special folders on Linux
This morning when I turned on my laptop I noticed that the Applications menu in Ubuntu 9.10 had disappeared - well, not completely, it was still shown in the panel, but when clicking on it it only showed a tiny little rectangle instead of popping up the application list. After a bit of googling around … Continue reading Applications menu disappeared
After returning from vacation I was confronted with a really strange problem on my laptop. Firefox wasn't any more able to load pages from certain domains. After a reboot it worked, but sooner or later it stopped working. At first I suspected a network problem, but my Windows PC was still able to load those … Continue reading Firefox suddenly doesn’t resolve names any more
I had some problems with my fingerprint reader for quite some time, probably since upgrading to Jaunty. It took multiple attempts to read my fingerprint, and often it wouldn't succeed at all. So I had stopped using it. Today, while I was researching a different problem I found a solution: upgrading the Thinkfinger libraries from … Continue reading Fingerprint Reader Working Again!